Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Diamond Star Quilt, Stage 4

Stage 4
I have prepared the pattern for the Tri corners and I thought I would just go ahead and show you what I did and for those who are afraid or don't under stand a pineapple block, I will also show that.

I printed out another square PA block out of Eq7 without numbering. I unchecked the number box, as not all PA blocks are numbered correctly or easy to understand numbering and that is the main problem. I prefer to number the strips myself, so that it's not confusing.

After I numbered my block, I drew a line down the middle horizontally and added a 1/4 ins. seam. Now that will be the pattern for tri's to square off the quilt. I need two tri's for one corner.


Here is the square block. I call the corners the points and the other four sides, the flat sides. You have four corner sections and four flat sections or sides. The corners strips are the darks and the flats are the lights or vice versa, depending on the effect you want to create.



The middle square is number one, and can be red etc. The four strips surrounding the middle are all #2 (white). The next strip down is #3 and that is the corner or point section, skip the flat side and number the next corner #3 and so on. You have now numbered all the first corner strips #3.

Now number the flat sides beginning with #4, number the next three flat sides #4 and so on. If you notice, on the corner points, the number are uneven, 3,5,7,9,,11,13 and the flat side are even 2,4,6,8,10,12.

When you start to pp or foundation piece the block. You will do the two center strips first. Pin down #1, join a #2 then go across and do the #2 opposite that one and then do the other two opposites. Cut your 1/4 ins. seam and join #3 (which is a point or corner), finger press, go across to the other point and do the other #3, now do the other two points or corners.

Now you are ready for #4 and that is a flat side. Do the same as above. Do one flat side and go across the do the one opposite and then the other two and so on.

Since we have numbered all strips that need to be the same color, the same number, there is no room for confusion.

You would have your strips cut and numbered in front of you and all you have to is reach and sew. I normally measure each strips after I sew it (the first block) and make a note on that set of strips what length is needed for that number, then I can subcut and fly.

No comments: